2 Great Days!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff
      Participant

Friday was nothing short of epic. I didn’t plan well enough, and only had my JP 101, so got thrashed about quite a bit! I thought it would be 20-25, but not 35-44!!

But today everyone bailed out a little too early. After a short session with a long schlog to the wind line and sailing on the east side of the lake, I came in with Doug who had to go to an XC meet (it sounded like it was a fun way of doing it!). When I went back to the water, Doug predicted that the wind would come back for me…and boy did it! The wind turned a little south and blew 20-25 wall-to-wall until about 1:30!! Except for a couple of beginning kiters over at the park launch, there wasn’t anyone else on the water. Amazing to have a venue like Seneca all to oneself.

I can’t say I’m sailing very well, very rusty on technique, and now with new sails and my venerable Fanatic Skate 112 (2001), I’ve got a lot to get dialed back in. I’m very glad to have the Skate back in my quiver, though – gosh, what a board! Truly has to be the best all-around board ever made. Early planer, pumps well, loose and skittery dancer under your feet, thin rails carve a great turn, it’s amazingly well balanced with the fin and sail, and the transition to the straps is easier than any other board I’ve ever ridden…in the schlog mode you’re standing at the straps, so you just put your feet in them. Later editions were shaped more and more to do vulcans and all the modern aerial freestyle moves, and just aren’t as versatile as the 112. If you ever see one for sale that’s in OK shape, I would highly recommend buying it.

mihelbergel
      Participant

Great post! Friday was incredible. The forecast looked EPIC, so Lisa and I left Buffalo around 3:30pm instead of going to Canada which is a much shorter drive for us. We didn’t get on the water until about 5:45pm, but it was just ramping up to 40mph+ so it seemed like good timing. It was perfect! Still dreaming about it. We got about an hour and a half before the sun started to dim. I wrote up a quick blog post about Issac flying over my head https://www.ericthebige.net/wind-blog/seneca-lakeup-up-and-away

Scott
      Participant

Oooh…sorry I missed it! Can be sure that when I leave town the wind will blow! Glad everyone had fun. I’m back so let the wind blow!

PharmaBob
      Participant

Hey Geoff…thought that was you out there on Saturday pigging out all alone in the middle of Seneca…you certainly had some great runs! I got my fix by 11:30 on a 12m …a great session that put a smile on my face all weekend.

Geoff
      Participant

Oink  Oink !!

Best thing was that the shift allowed some wall-to-wall riding. The waves weren’t as good for riding as they were on Friday, and the wind/wave directions weren’t favoring starboard side jumps, so it was more a day for good old blasting.

Was hoping we’d see more this week, but it looks like we’re back to the doldrums, alas.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.