8.0 to 6.0 / 5.5 117L Wave Board for Sale

Home Page Discussion Forum Gear For Sale 8.0 to 6.0 / 5.5 117L Wave Board for Sale

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoff
      Participant

The Ultimate Light-to-Moderate Wave Board Kit for the Big Lakes

I’ve gone multi-fin, so my bread-and-butter light-to-moderate wind wave board is up for sale – a Star-Board 117 Aero, with board bag, 3 extremely good fins – True Ames Surfgrass, War Dog B&J and the OEM Drake onshore wave fin (you’ll have to go to an ocean to make use of that one). See pic. All in excellent condition.

I’m even throwing in my 8.0 Super Freak because that wave sail specifically is what makes this a great board for days like I had on Wednesday at Fair Haven:12-15 with gusts to upper teens, with ~2 foot swells. The Super Freak will give you a little extra bottom end if rigged on a skinny, but works with an RDM.

Excellent range extender for Seneca, Ontario and Erie. Very soft ride (lots of V), easy to jibe, especially on a wave face. This board has lots of tail rocker, so you will not win any drag races with it. But if you get to the shore and find that the swells are up, a little bit of capping, but there’s not enough for your 5.5 or 6.0 wave board, and wish you could get out to surf some waves, work on your cut backs, top turns, staying in the pocket, this is the board and sail for you.  Asking $500 for the whole kit.

Aero 117

windydoug
      Keymaster

WOW Geoff, what an incredible deal.  Your gear is always in tip top shape.  Here’s hoping somebody will benefit from this quickly.

Wd

Geoff
      Participant

Thanks for the plug!

Indeed, everything is in very good shape. Probably the 8.0 is the most worn, but it has years of useful life left. And it’s key because it really sets up well on this board.

I’ve ridden this board with a 5.8, where it is still quite comfy. Much below 5.5 and it’s a bit bumpy for the Aero.

At 71 cm of width, it’s very forgiving in the jibes but it carves a pretty tight turn because of the tucked rails.

Am including the fins because Star-Board made the Aero with a Tuttle box, and whatever the box there are very few wave fins big enough for this board. The bag because you won’t find a board bag this short and wide.

Mark
      Participant

Man, that’s a deal indeed… Second what Doug said on your gear being in tip-top shape; the GPS 6.6m I picked up a couple years back is still in gorgeous condition. It’s by far my favorite sail, and I’ve actually been looking for a more slalom-y board to pair it with. This obviously isn’t it, but a good deal on a good board for Ontario is hard to pass up. I’ll sleep on it, but I have a feeling I’ll be making a trip out your way soon!

Geoff
      Participant

Hi Mark,

Good to hear from you, I hope the first day of autumn ushers in some good wind. It certainly has been light lately!

Wasn’t thinking of you as a potential buyer, but where you live this would be a good board for Ontario. Seneca too, Canandaigua probably OK but not so ideal.

BTW, I have some tales to tell about the Polestar at Watkins Glen. The car is a hoot on the track!

Good winds,

GEM

Mark
      Participant

Haha, I bet it is! Did you take it to an event, or one of the “bring your car around the track at no more than 60mph” things? I’ve done the latter with my wife’s car (plain ol’ XC60), and was incredibly fun. I can just imagine how fun the Polestar is out there!

As for the board, as I said, I’ve slept on it; while a very tempting deal, it’s not what I’m looking for right now, so I’m gonna pass on it. It’ll certainly make a great addition to someone’s collection though!

Geoff
      Participant

Answer to the Polestar question, which I’d overlooked…

Drove it at an Audi event at the Glen, with instructor. Learned a lot in a couple of days. Went from feeling like I was the LOL in the center of the freeway 30 MPH slower (more) than the rest of the traffic, to passing most of the cars in my novice group.

The instructor thought the Polestar was a great track car, the Brembo brakes having enough stuff (I ran on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s)…though Volvo’s stock rear brakes couldn’t handle it and the rotors need to be replaced (living with it over the winter and will replace in spring).

There’s a lot to fill your mind driving on the track, and one of the skills is just learning to think fast enough and tick through all the things you need to monitor (which is why there is an instructor in passenger’s seat!). One of the cool things is learning “accelerator steering”, or guiding the trajectory of the turn with the accelerator rather than the steering wheel. All in all, it’s too much to post here, but I figure most readers will be interested in top speeds: at the end of the back stretch entering into the chicane I got to 124, but far more “invigorating” is entering a downhill, banked away from the turn in the 90º turn 1, which I managed to hit at the end of the straight going 110-112 on the second day. Needless to say, there’s VERY hard braking going on, and the trick to top speeds on the straights is learning to go fast as you can and run over the curbs on the turns. It’s quite a hoot…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.